:h: Welcome
to Team Law’s Forum!

We hold Free Conference Calls every: Monday, Wednesday & Friday morning from:
8:00 – 9:00 AM (Mountain Time); excluding emergencies and national holidays.

Join us on, and invite your friends to, our next Conference Call!

Call: (857) 232-0158; use the Conference Access Code: 110045.

Use this Forum to contact Team Law;
use this link for more: contact information.

We hope this information is helpful to you.
Tell everybody about Team Law! :t^:

After reading this announcement, you may remove it by clicking the “X” in the upper right corner of the announcement's green background.

What does a land patent look like?

The mystery of Land Patents unveiled.

Moderators: Tnias, Jus

Sean English
Registered

What does a land patent look like?

Postby Sean English » Friday November 7th, 2014 2:12 pm MST

Hi
I am new to the site and this is my first post. Finally, I am glad that I have found a place where I can help with the whole land patent thing.
I have a friend/client whom I am helping with a land he has inherited from another person.
We have a Chain of Title but it is a document written up by him and not something official. And then we have land patents (I think). What is a land patent? What does it look like? Is it official or anybody just could have written it up? We want to sell this property which is quite large and pricy but I am trying to first establish ownership. So, please dig in and help if you can. Also, are there attorneys/experts in this field who can help us?
I look forward to hearing what you have to say. Land is in California.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What does a land patent look like?

Postby Admin » Saturday November 8th, 2014 2:47 pm MST

:h: Sean English:
Your initial inquiry indicates that you have very little background with either Land Law or land patents; respectively, we suggest that you might want to start off by reading the full article “Do you own your Land?” which begins at page 13 of the WARN newsletter, volume 1 issue 1. After that you might want to move on to the Land 101 article found on our Land Patent specific Open Forum.

You indicated that you are helping a “friend/client” with a land issue; however, Team Law does not work through third parties unless all of the parties are Team Law beneficiaries; so, you will best help your friend by getting them to read the referenced articles and or to both get involved as Team Law beneficiaries.

You indicated that you have a “Chain of Title” document of your own making; however, a “Chain of Title” is a complete chain of documents that includes every landownership transfer document from the Title (land patent) to the present. It is not a single document that someone makes up. When the information from a “Chain of Title” is transcribed from the actual deeds, etc., that make up the chain, that instrument is called an “Abstract of Title”; but such an instrument has little value unless it is a “Certified Abstract of Title”. Such instruments are usually sealed and issued by Title companies.

The above referenced article (“Do you own your Land?”) includes within it a sample of an official land patent issued by the President of the United States of America. So, you can use that to verify the kind of contents found in a land patent. Respectively, land patents are definitely official documents issued only by the head of State; such as a: King, President or Governor.

Though the ownership of land, and the property appurtenant to it, is always established by the actual Title (land patent so issued) along with a proper “Chain of Title” (from the patent to the present), today real estate transactions are often secured merely by title insurance.

Team Law is not an attorney referral service; so, we can’t help you there.

Team Law,

"In memory of our God, our faith, and freedom,
and of our spouses, our children, and our peace.
"

As with all Forum posts, comments made by Admin are:
copyrighted—all rights reserved; and, provided here for educational purposes only.

Sean English
Registered

Postby Sean English » Thursday November 13th, 2014 9:21 pm MST

Hi
I have been reading what you recommended and have found it very useful.
You mentioned that title companies make the Certified Abstract of title. Is that right? (By looking at all the deeds and land patents we provide them with)
I will contact one and see if they can make sense of it all. They are all handwritten and copies of the originals.
Where are the originals land patents located? I have one which reads exactly as you explained on the page 13 of your newsletter. How can a party check the authenticity of a land patent if its a copy?

KingWm
Beneficiary
Beneficiary

Postby KingWm » Friday November 14th, 2014 8:02 am MST

Sean,
Years ago, title companies would always do abstracts of title. A lot of them used to be called abstract companies instead of title companies. In Texas, you won't find a title company that will still do an abstract of title. They just sell title insurance now. Good luck with that. If they will still do an abstract of title, they will do the research themselves and you will not need to provide them with anything other than the information necessary to identify the tract you want abstracted. The title companies I have dealt with won't even share their chain of title any more. It has become proprietary and a liability for them. If it were me, I would do the research myself (and you may have to). You would learn a great deal from the experience.

There should only be one patent and many deeds (unless you are in a rural area and your land happens to span more than one land patent). I would not even attempt to verify a copy is authentic as you suggested. I would get certified copies of the original from the source. In Texas, the source for patents is the General Land Office. I am not sure about other states, but it may be the Bureau of Land Management. Deeds are recorded at the County Clerk and Recorder's office (County Clerk). You will know that copies are authentic when you either make your own copies or get certified copies. To be used as evidence in court, the copies will have to be certified by the source.

I see you have made 4 posts now (see: Rule 31). After your fifth post you will need to become a beneficiary in order to continue to receive support on this forum. In case you are wondering, many of us have found that the best way to become a beneficiary is through the Way of Kings. You may want to check out that site and see what they have to offer. The Way of Kings™.

KingWm

T.L.I.O.F.
Beneficiary
Beneficiary

Postby T.L.I.O.F. » Friday November 14th, 2014 8:12 am MST

Sean:
http://www.glorecords.blm.gov

It's a beautiful thing.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Monday November 24th, 2014 12:08 pm MST

:h: Sean:
Though we found the responses from KingWm and T.L.I.O.F. sufficient, we want you to also be aware that a link to the “BLM’s Land Patent Records Search” is the first resource listed on Team Law’s Online resources page; to which you will find a link in our main menu’s Research section.

Respectively, if you go to that link you will be able to select your State and enter either: the name of the person that was specifically named on the land patent; or, the Township, Range and Section # from your land’s land description and there see the Land Patent that was granted for your land.

Of course, if your land is located in the original 13 states or Texas that site will not source the land patent for your land because none of those lands were part of the “U. S. Rectangular Survey System”; and, respectively, the BLM has no jurisdiction over those State lands.

Team Law,

"In memory of our God, our faith, and freedom,
and of our spouses, our children, and our peace.
"

As with all Forum posts, comments made by Admin are:
copyrighted—all rights reserved; and, provided here for educational purposes only.

Return to “Land Patents”